I love pesto! I didn’t grow up on the stuff (unfortunately), but when my mother-in-law introduced it to me for the first time at the ripe old age of 20, it was love at first taste.
I use her delicious recipe.
Here are a few pesto tips:
1. If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby you, get your basil there. Their prices on basil, olive oil, and garlic will save you a lot of $.
2. You can refrigerate fresh homemade pesto for up to 2 days before it goes south, and you can freeze it and either defrost in the fridge or sink.
1. pkg Basil (2.5 oz)
2-3 gloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
Blend in a food processor, and viola! (I am not a fan of the pine nut, so I don’t use pine nuts in my pesto).
My 4 favorite pesto uses are as follows:
1. Whole wheat penne pasta, pan fried chicken, cherry tomatoes, pesto (mix it all together and it’s perfect)!
2. Caprese Salad (cubed or balled fresh mozzarella, diced tomatoes/cherry tomatoes, pesto, and a little white balsamic vinegar all mixed together (Oh.My.Goodness)
3. Mozzarella and Pesto Stuffed Turkey Burgers (Just slice some cheese, slather on pesto, and grill or bake burgers as usual.
4. Pesto Orecchiette with Chicken Sausage, Green Beans, and Peas. I can’t stop making this recipe. Seriously, go make it tonight!
What are your favorite pesto recipes?