Sassy Peppers

Do you have a favorite vegetable? Of course not, because they are all delish (except for cauliflower and lima beans, naturally). Now, while I could never pick just one, I do know that I love bell peppers.

Recently I was talking with a friend who said she didn’t like peppers.  I felt like I was punched in the gut!  How can you not love this diverse vegetable?

The bell pepper is a sassy vegetable! It’s colorful, flamboyant, flavorful, healthy, and strong.  In fact, now that I’m thinking about it, peppers are a lot like the Olympics only you don’t have to wait until NBC deems them ready for you to enjoy (zing!).

Here are a few fun facts about me and peppers:
1.  My husband and I buy anywhere from 4-8 bell peppers a week and it’s rare we have leftovers into the next week.

2.  I like yellow peppers best raw

3.  “Peppers” are technically a misnomer, incorrectly established by Christopher Columbus. Seriously, did he get anything right?

4.  I love red peppers best grilled

5.  I only like cooked green peppers, I don’t like them raw, despite the various flavors of hummus you try and tempt me with.

6.  Speaking of, my favorite dip for bell peppers is black bean hummus

I eat peppers raw as much as I do cooked.  I love adding them to salads or eating them straight up with a good dip.  I love sautéing them with other veggies, or eating them with pasta or meat.  During the summer I enjoy sautéed peppers and red onion with kielba$a (the most gangster of the polish sausages).  During the winter I love to roast them with other veggies for a delicious and warm meal.  I think I love how much color they add to food as much as I do their taste.  They make meals so beautiful! They are to meals what sunsets are to days, what Shakspeare is to words, what Chick-Fil-A is to controversy.

(“I knew it”, you whisper with an accompanying eye roll.  “I knew she would blog about Chick-Fil-A at some point this week”.)

In honor of this veggie love, I thought I would share my favorite bell pepper recipe with you today.  It might be more of a fall or winter meal, but all I dream about these days is cooler weather, so cooler weather food is on my radar:

Veggie Stuffed Peppers
This recipe originally came to me from my friend Andrea (who should start a food blog) and I have adapted it a bit over the years:
Ingredients:
6 large or 8 medium green bell peppers
2 cups brown rice
3 cups water
1 cup milk or heavy whipping cream (soy milk does NOT work with this recipe)
2 cups finely chopped veggies (I use bell peppers of all colors, zucchini, squash, and red onion)
2 TBSP cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 -1 tsp pepper
Shredded mozzaralla cheese

Prep:
Cut tops off and clean out peppers.  Bake empty peppers in oven at 350 for 30 minutes to soften (no need to grease pan).  You can do this while your rice is cooking.
Rice Mix:
Mix Rice and Water and cook until most of the water is absorbed.  For brown rice, this is about 20-25 mins.  Add milk, veggies, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Cook until veggies are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. (This may take closer to 50 minutes. Be sure to take out the baking empty peppers after 30 minutes or they will get too soft).

Place a little cheese in the bottom of each pepper.  Add rice mixture.  Top with more cheese.  If you want to go totally wild, put a pad of butter on top of each pepper and a sprinkling of bread crumbs for a crusty top.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is melted or slightly browned (whatever your preference).
What about you?  Are you a pepper lover or hater, or even worse, are you pepper indifferent?
Today, my friend Annie and I are having a little healthy competition (see what I did there?) to see if our readers are pepper lovers or haters.  Please vote!  Pepper lovers, comment here, pepper haters head over to Annie’s blog and see if you agree.  And remember, a vote for peppers is a vote for sassy!

About these ads

About allisonbuzard

Follower of Christ. Wife. Social Worker. http://twitter.com/AllisonBuzard
This entry was posted in Allison's Food Creations. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Sassy Peppers

1. Karen McGee says:

Oh gosh, I was so afraid you had linked me as the friend who said she hated peppers…phew.

2. hollyfrees says:

i love peppers. i love them, i love them. i love them grilled and sauteed in pretty much anything. i also love them raw, they’re so refreshing raw with all the water that’s inside of them. if it’s yellow or orange i don’t even need a dip.

3. Steve says:

Peppers are amazing…. I love cutting them into rings and putting them on a sandwich.

4. Sarah Ternes says:

LOVE peppers…cooked or raw, they are delish, the essential partner in every single item i cook…and i love red peppers with hidden valley ranch sour cream dip…ok, i just drooled a little.

5. Nate and Molly says:

We buy a big bag of at least 6 peppers a week too! I alternate between putting them and spinach in the boys’ scrambled eggs in the mornings because they will barely eat vegetables any other way (sad, I know). My stuffed peppers recipe has ground beef (of course!) and tomatoes and no cheese. When I was pregnant I would eat a bell pepper raw at night before I went to bed. So hopefully all of that qualifies me in your side of the poll. ;)

6. kylanne says:

My favorite meal at the Buzards!!! Yay!!!

7. Whitney says:

I’m coming from the blog, of said hater of peppers, to leave a pro-pepper comment! I agree wholeheartedly with this post, though I don’t much cross into yellow pepper territory. For no reason, except that those whiley red peppers always win me over. And green peppers should only be cooked, which is why I always have to check the fijta mix at Chipotle for proper pepper grilling before ordering it on my burrito bowl.

• Whitney, please try a yellow pepper this week and then let me know how it CHANGED YOUR LIFE! Ok, maybe I’m being dramatic, but they have their own flavor contribution to the bell pepper family. Also, I’m bummed I’m reading your comment about Chipotle at lunch time because now my packed lunch (which contains peppers, might I add) doesn’t sound nearly as good as a fajita burrito bowl.

8. carolynew says:

Man, my friend Annie is crazy! Peppers RULE! Thanks for the recipe!x

9. Angelica says:

Came over from Annie’s blog to share my love for peppers!! May even try this recipe!!

10. Coming your way from Annie’s blog to share my love of peppers!! Love Love Love them!

11. I personally think there’s something wrong with Annie if she doesn’t like peppers. :) I absolutely love them – and my favorite way to use red bells is in my roasted salsa! http://debsperfectbite.com/2009/05/12/summer-salsa/
    I used to have a roommate who ate them like apples. All colors, she would just sit there and take big bites out of them. I mean, I love em… but that was a little overboard for me. :)

• Your roasted salsa looks AMAZING as does your curry hummus and La Bella Burger. Glad you shared your blog! Can’t wait to try some new recipes!

• Thanks Allison! Ask Annie about the White Chocolate Cranberry Parfait – she made it and even did a video blog about it! Enjoy and let me know if you make something from the site and how it turns out. Hoping to turn those into a recipe book eventually and need all the “test kitchens” I can get!

• I’m drooling at the name. I’ll have to check that out.

12. Stephanie says:

I’m here from Annie’s site. I LOVE peppers. In my scrambled eggs, dipped in hummus, sauteed with some chicken and onion over rice. They are pretty much one of the best things ever! ;)

13. Abigail says:

I’m a pepper lover! I think i probably eat them in some form or fashion just about every day :D…during the summer it’s a great idea to get them from the farmer’s market. 2 for a dollar!

14. Laura says:

Also came from Annie’s blog. Love bell peppers. Used them in quiche and as a pizza topping this week.

15. April West says:

I like bell peppers….a lot….but they have to be cooked. The only way I like them raw is if they are finely chopped up in something like Texas Caviar.

16. Erika B. says:

Annie is SO WRONG on this one– thanks for putting the truth out there!! Bell peppers are the BEST, and I appreciate the yellow, orange, and red ones the most (equally), but green will do just fine if that’s all that’s available (or affordable, ha).

17. Amy K. says:

I am obsessed with baby sweet peppers … the ones you get at Costco in a cute little bag for less than $4. 25 calories in 3 peppers — and 270% your daily value of Vitamin C! Mix half a packet of Knorr’s Vegetable Soup mix with a one-serving container of plain Greek yogurt, and you have yourself a healthy little dip to go with your baby peppers! :) My favorite summer snack!

18. marylyn says:

i love Annie….but I love me some peppers. I think we agree on all the important things & disagree on all the unimportant things which naturally would mean that we would be great friends if I lived in nashville.